A bright, white smile is considered to be a winning smile that can open a lot of doors for you. You may not be born with white teeth but this does not mean you can’t have one. A lot of improvements have been made to teeth whitening treatments, making them more accessible and pain-free.
The cost of professional whitening may vary depending on the teeth whitening products you are using, where you are getting treatment, and who is giving the treatment. On average, professional whitening can cost around $650. In some cases, the cost of teeth whitening can reach over $1000.
Why are professional teeth whitening services expensive?
As mentioned earlier, the costs will vary but generally, here are the processes that you have to pay for while getting professional teeth whitening.
You will most likely start your professional teeth whitening treatment with a prophylactic cleaning process. This will clear off the debris and plaque stuck between your teeth and gathered on the surface of your teeth.
Then, a dental exam will be performed (this is often billed as one with the prophylactic cleaning). In the dental exam, the dentist will look out for cracks in the teeth, tooth decay, gum disease, and other potential problems. This is because teeth whitening involves bleach, which could be an irritant if you have dental problems.
If dental problems are found, your dentist will most likely advise you not to proceed with teeth whitening until the issues are corrected. If you pass the dental exam, photos will be taken of your teeth to help measure the current shade you have and the shade that you want to get. Then, you will proceed to the teeth whitening treatment.
The process for office whitening procedure may vary depending on the brand that your dentist recommends. Different brands will have different costs as well and will have different teeth whitening products involved.
Your dentist may recommend also follow-up bleaching treatments if the desired results are not achieved. But most of the time it just takes an hour-long session to get what you want for office whitening (especially if you just have a mild to moderate case of teeth discoloring).
Other affordable teeth whitening options
Of course, not everyone can afford to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars just for teeth whitening. If you are looking for an effective but more affordable cost of teeth whitening, we suggest that you try teeth whitening kits that you can do at home.
Although over-the-counter whitening strips and trays are significantly cheaper, you have to keep in mind that they use cheap, low-concentrated peroxide whiteners. The effects will not be long-lasting.
At-home whitening products make use of professional-grade ingredients and devices that are good enough for effective and fast teeth whitening treatment without you having to spend a lot of cash. In fact, some dentists recommend them – especially for those who are prone to sensitivity.
The best home teeth whitening treatments
At-home teeth whitening kits are popular these days because they are more affordable than office teeth whitening treatments and sometimes, deliver faster results. The fact that you can get a fast, efficient, and easy way to whiten your teeth without having to visit the dentist makes it more appealing!
Here is a quick list of some of the most preferred at-home teeth whitening products that you can get today:
The Snow teeth whitening kit costs $149. There is also an installment plan available via afterpay where you pay $37.25 in four interest-free installments. Plus it comes with a 5-year warranty.
The Snow teeth whitening kit makes use of an LED whitening accelerating technology originally formulated by the company. The kit comes with 3 wands of whitening serum and one extra-strength whitening serum.
- Can be used on crowns, braces, bridges, veneers, and caps.
- Known to be used by celebrities.
- The mouthpiece may be uncomfortable for some users since the mouthpiece is not a one-size-fits-all design
White One ($48)
The White One Ultimate kit costs $48. This is one of the most affordable deals you can find in the market considering that you will be getting a teeth whitening pen, blue light device, teeth whitening mouth spray, and a tube of whitening toothpaste.
White One is a value-packed ultimate teeth whitening kit that gives you everything you need to get the best teeth whitening results at an affordable price.
- The package gives good value for your money.
- Affordable price.
- Longer treatment time
Tres Bright ($59.99)
The Tres Bright teeth whitening kit costs $59.99. They are confident with their product enough to maintain a Results Guaranteed or Money Back policy.
Tres Bright uses advanced LED light technology to give you faster teeth whitening results. Gentle and natural ingredients are used to ensure a pain- and sensitive-free whitening treatment.
- No pain or tooth sensitivity.
- Quick results. Some users have noticed a change on the first day.
- If you have more than moderate staining on your teeth, you will have to treat your teeth for 30 minutes per day to get desired results.
You can get three Glowup packages. The Standard package costs $60 for 2 months supply of whitening gel. The Gold package costs $75 for 6 months supply of whitening gel. And lastly, the Diamond package costs $135 for a 1-year supply of whitening gel.
Glowup is a customized teeth whitening kit. To start, you have to go to their official website, take an online quiz, and order the package that you want.
- Painless teeth whitening experience – making it perfect for those who often suffer from tooth sensitivity.
- LED light helps increase the effectiveness of the treatment so you actually have shorter treatment sessions.
- The teeth whitening gel has a weird taste.
GLO Science ($149)
GLO Science offers two teeth whitening packages. The GLO Lit whitening kit costs $149. The GLO Brilliant whitening costs $199. They also offer a payment plan where you pay $49.75 in four interest-free installments.
GLO Science is a teeth whitening system that uses a combination of blue LED light and heat to give you faster results.
- Products are FDA-approved and patented. They have also won two prestigious Edison Awards for their product.
- The kits are very high-tech but they are also easy to use.
- LED light can dry out your lips while in use so you have to buy the GLO lip care treatment as well to ensure that your lips stay in good condition.
The Nuyu teeth whitening starter kit costs $147. In the package, you get the specially formulated whitening gel, whitening pen, and blue LED mouthpiece. The package comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Nuyu makes use of a professional, gluten-free whitening formula that is safe for the enamel of your teeth. Like most teeth whitening kits, this treatment makes use of a blue LED mini light and a mouthpiece to whiten your teeth.
- The mouthpiece comes with a charging cable and you can do 15 sessions per charge.
- The special formula is guaranteed to be enamel-safe.
- It may be considered to be on the costly side but the price is worth it considering the results you get.
Teeth whitening FAQs
Is it worth getting your teeth whitened at the dentist?
The number one advantage of getting your teeth whitened at the dentist is that the whole treatment is done and monitored by a professional. This will ensure that you will get the results that you want in the safest environment.
Another advantage of professional whitening is treatment time. Dentists have a stronger formula that can whiten your teeth with just one session. A session can last for 30 minutes to an hour, depending on how many shades your teeth need to be whitened.
The only drawback is the fact that professional teeth whitening costs a lot of money. But if you have the budget for it, teeth whitening treatments at the dentist are definitely worth it.
Is teeth whitening effective?
Most of the people who have gone through teeth whitening treatments (professionally or not) can see moderate to substantial improvements in their smiles when it comes to brightness and whiteness. Some treatments can make your teeth go five to nine shades whiter.
However, the exact effectiveness of teeth whitening greatly depends on the status of your teeth before the treatment. So, results will vary from one person to the next.
You also have to take note that teeth whitening is not a permanent fix to teeth discoloration. It will require touch-ups and maintenance to prolong its effects.
How long does teeth whitening last?
A teeth whitening treatment’s duration will depend on how you treat your teeth right after. If you take good care of it by avoiding food that can stain the teeth and smoking, the whitening effects will last longer.
For office teeth whitening, a person that has good oral health can extend the effects for 2 to 3 years. For at-home teeth whitening, the duration will only be good for as long as 6 to 8 months.
You have to keep in mind that teeth whitening treatment will not give you permanent results. If you want to maintain and continue having a whiter smile, you will have to start another teeth whitening treatment as soon as you notice the effects are fading.
Does teeth whitening hurt?
Generally, teeth whitening treatments are painless. The only exception is if you have weak enamel. In this case, you may experience some sensitivity for a few days. In this case, you can use a special toothpaste to help with your sensitivity issues.
Whether you are going for professional teeth whitening treatment or the at-home teeth whitening treatments suggested above, we encourage you to get your teeth cleaned first. This will get rid of any debris and plaque in your teeth and you can ask your dentist if your enamel is in good condition.
What causes tooth discoloration?
Here is a quick list of some of the most common causes of tooth discoloration
- Age – As you age, your teeth will darken as a result of stain accumulation and wear and tear. The older you get, the stronger the whitening treatment you will need.
- Starting color – The way your teeth are colored from the very start may also be a factor. Some people start off with yellow to grayish shades and this color will intensify as you age.
- The thinness of your teeth- This is also a genetic trait that can be more obvious as you age. Some people have thin and transparent teeth and therefore they appear darker.
- Diet- The food you eat also is a factor because some food can stain your teeth over time. Some teeth-staining foods include coffee, red wine, cola, tea, oranges, berries, carrots, and other deep-colored foods. You should also be wary of acidic food like vinegar and citrus fruits since the acid can cause enamel erosion over time, which could also lead to the yellowing of the teeth.
- Smoking- Nicotine leaves brownish stains that can soak into your teeth. This causes one of the hardest cases of discoloration but can be manageable by teeth whitening treatments.
- Excess fluoride – When you expose your teeth to too much fluoride, you are at risk of fluorosis. This is the discoloration of teeth known for its appearance of faint white marks and white mottling.
- Teeth grinding – Grinding of the teeth will cause micro-cracks and will darken the biting edges of your teeth.
- Cracks- Cracks in the teeth can collect a large amount of debris that can stain the teeth.
How can I maintain my whiter teeth?
The best way to maintain your whiter teeth is to maintain good oral hygiene. Brush your teeth two to three times each day and use mouthwash and floss daily. When you have good oral health, your enamel becomes stronger and stains on your whiter teeth will hardly stick and develop.
Of course, you have to watch what you eat. Avoid dark-colored foods and drinks to make sure that your teeth stay white. If you have to take coffee or tea, use a straw so it does not have to go through your front teeth. If you have to eat dark-colored food or drinks, it is also recommended that you brush your teeth and rinse your mouth right after you eat.
Like all dental treatments, cost has been a determining factor on whether one should proceed or not. This article shows you how much does teeth whitening cost and other affordable options that you can avail of. With the options above, you will be able to get a white smile that you can be proud of without worrying about teeth whitening costs.